After some feedback to improve my ident for the video, I made little changes to make it more dramatic. This included animating and adding sound effects to make it relate to the video more. I went for a minimalistic approach to reach the target audience and make it appeal to them. If it were to be over-edited, they may have thought that it would be too much and not fit in with the advert. Below is the updated and final titles and ident.
Changes were made after feedback from The Plantagenets, which included re-recording the voice over and adding more effects to the ident. During todays session we booked out a voice recorder and went and recorded in an echoed room to create a gloomy effect. This made a huge difference from the first draft of the voice over, which was initially recorded on a mobile phone.
Sound effects were added to the ident at the end of the video to create a more dramatic sound and feel, which works perfectly wth the voice over and background music. Overall my team are very pleased with the video which makes us a lot more confident for the presentation tomorrow.
I have worked for several hours today on the video edit since being handed over the footage from the second shoot. The first draft was placed on The Plantagenets (our team) Facebook to receive feedback. I will continue the edit with after speaking with my team to see what can be improved.
As part of our Richard iii video, a voiceover is included to tell a story and to excite people about coming to the visitor centre in Leicester. As a video editor, I’m one of my weaker points is audio. To help with this and make the overall audio sound better, I conducted some research via Youtube. This tutorial helped me compress and use dynamics within the audio to make it sound professional. The teacher also explains that this is used in the professional media industry very frequently.
Figure 2 – Adjustments made to the audio in Premier Pro
As industry standards are quite high, I am using Adobe Premier to get close to the standards and to get a better outlook of the program for future use in work. As far as the King Richard advert goes, we are going for a gloomy, two sided story approach and i thought using Premier Pro would be more suitable for the project.
In previous projects I have used Sony Vegas to edit and in terms of broadness, the editing in the specific program can not be achieved to a professional standard compared to Premier.
Using adjustment layers, I am able to create an old medieval look, to counteract with the story that is being told. As seen in ‘figure 1’, the screenshot shows the start of the post-production process of the advert.
Last year I created a 3-Dimensional ident as it appealed to the target audience, this year our target audience are American tourists which we decided would be mainly retired travellers/families/people who are interested in history. I made the Ident in Adobe Photoshop and Premier Pro, keeping it minimalistic as I didn’t want to throw the audience off.
Our first initial idea was to make an animation promotional video, but fell through due to lack of time and experience with animation. As a team we decided to go to Leicester again and film the King Richard centre to film inside, as camera operating and editing are my strong points and will make a great impact on the project.
Over the weekend I created a 2-D ident for the start of the video to introduce what the advert will be about. This consists of our teams logo that our logo designers created in which I added ‘Leicester visitor centre’ and created a wipe in effect.
Our first shoot didn’t go to plan but I have some footage to edit. The re-shoot will be today (Monday 25th) so I will be meeting up with the team later on in the day to collect the footage so I can carry on editing the video. I am editing in Premier Pro to keep up to industry standards and to stay professional. As I will be applying for editing internships for the summer, being an experienced editor on Premier could be a great bonus.
King Richard iii visitor centre promotion overview
Paired up with first year students in two teams, we are assigned to create a promotional video for the centre to attract American audiences. Our first meeting consisted of going through the brief, discussing what kind of marketing and video we wanted to produce for the centre.
Team name: The Plantagenets
Through research, we came up with the name as this was King Richard iii’s family name.
To get a brief idea of what kind of video we should create to attract certain audiences, I picked out three commercials that we could possibly get an idea from, using our low budget scheme. They are snappy, intriguing and get the message across successfully.