- This is the application of the knowledge of cognitive neuroscience, behavioural econonomics and proven experiments conducted by behavioural scientists around the world to change human behaviour.
- Within consumer behaviour, behaviour design could be used for successful new products adoption, habit formation, increasing sales conversions online, inshore, designing customer service and many more applications.
Fog Behaviour Model
FBM shows that three elements must converge at the same moment for a behaviour to occur:
Fogg argues that when behaviour does not occur, at least one of the three elements is missing.
FMB suggests, that a trigger is the key to changing behaviour, rather than just motivation and the ability to be able to do something..The Trigger, as Dr Fogg suggests, is a call to action.
Three types of triggers:
- Facilitator -e.g wireless items, making it easier
- Signal – e.g a sign that makes people do what you want
- Spark – When Frodo offers to take the ring
“Those designing persuasion should use the trigger type that matches their target users context, which combines motivation and ability.” Fog, 2013
“Using my Behaviour Model (FMB) as a guide, designers can identify what stops people from performing behaviours that designers seek. For example, if users are not performing a target behaviour, such as rating hotels online, the FMB helps designers see what psychological element is lacking.” Fogg, 2013